Suggested yarn and hook: 5mm Hook for Big Merino Chunky or 3.5mm Hook for Aran yarn.
Notions: Safety eyes, thread for nostrils and for sewing on pom-poms, wading (or yarn leftovers/cut-offs)
SS - Slip Stitch
St - Stitch
SC - Single Crochet
SC Inc - Single Crochet Increase (2 SC in 1 St)
SC2tog - Single crochet two stitches together
DC - Double Crochet
DC Inc - Double Crochet Increase (2 DC in 1 St)
YO - Yarn Over
If you are new to crochet or need a little refresher we recommend the following website, it's got all the stitches and techniques for the piggy pattern!
Note: This Pattern works in the round continuously as a spiral, those of you new to crochet or who find counting stitches annoying may wish to use a stitch marker or safety pin to mark the first stitch of each row.
1. Ch 4, SS into 1st Ch to create a loop
2. SC into the middle of the loop 6 times.
- Row1 SC 6 into back loop of the 6 Sts (this forms the snout!)
- Row2 Inc (SC2 in each St) 6 times (12)
- Row3 (SC1, SC inc) repeat 6 (18)
- Row4 (SC2, SC inc) repeat 3, (DC2, DC Inc) repeat 3 (24)
- Row5 SC 6 rounds
Now we start to decrease to make the bum.
- Row6 (SC2, SC2Tog) repeat 3, (DC2,DC2Tog) repeat 3 (18)
This is a good time to stuff the body with wading. Firmly.
- Row7 (SC, SC2Tog) repeat 6 (12)
Add the rest of the wading now.
- Row8 (SC2Tog) repeat 6 (6)
- Insert hook through St on opposite side of circle, YO and SS to close up body.
- Ch 10-15 depending on desired length of tail and SC Inc all Sts back towards the body, try and keep a tight tension to create the curl in the tail. SS into St on the body* and fasten off. (photo)
Make 2 small pom poms using your fingers!
1. Wrap around fingers. 2. Slide off and tie
3. Tie it nice and tight! 4. Cut loops on either side of knot
5. Trim Pom Pom to desired size. 6. Repeat for second ear!
Sew on pompom Ears, add safety eyes. Use a strong and thinner yarn to sew the nostrils on the snout.
And voila! A piggy pal is born! We really hope you love crocheting along. If you have any questions then please don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!